Over here at Smyth House, we are all about home and creating meaningful experiences; and this year, we’re working on mastering the art of low maintenance entertaining.
Let’s be honest. While we want to hang our hat on being the hostess with the mostess, life can be chaotic. And while we’ve scrolled Pinterest for fabulous table settings and decadent recipes, when it comes right down to it; we’re coming up short on time to execute. Well friend, if that sounds remotely familiar- this journal is for you.
We are all about quick and easy apps, a charcuterie spread that looks incredible, but took mere minutes to throw together, and a tablescape that didn’t break the bank.
Why? Because we want to be able to spend the evening enjoying our company; not in the kitchen, pulling our hair out while spewing curse words because our overly ambitious plan isn’t going according to plan.
Last week, our team got together to celebrate our own Friendsgiving and to put together our version of easy entertaining ideas. We will be sharing our approach to effortless entertaining on our social channels all week. We used these images and tips as our guide and wanted to share it with you as well.
Thank you for being on this journey with us, sharing your ideas, and being part of our creative community. We are grateful for each of you and wish you all the best this week as you slow down to enjoy time with family and friends.
Entertaining the Smyth House Way
1. Set the mood. It’s all about the ambiance, people. The dim lighting, the vibey playlist, the candles flickering. If you’ve got a fireplace, light it up! If not, put on Fireplace For Your Home on Netflix. It crackles + pops just like the real thing, and it might seem silly but it totally adds to the coziness.
2. Tidy Up. No one wants to come eat and drink at a dirty house! Sorry, but it’s true. If you don’t have time to clean, enlist help. It may be worth the extra money if it saves you the stress and time, and you’ll feel confident inviting guests into your home.
3. Easy Food + Drinks. Three words: Keep. It. Simple. We turn to Trader Joe’s when it comes to entertaining. With a few simple ingredients, they make you feel like a gourmet chef. It’s a somewhat quick shopping trip and you can grab almost everything you need in the one stop: drinks, fresh greens, and food. We’ve been researching go-to crowd pleasers that are easy, taste great and look like you may have hired a professional caterer.
4. Don’t Forget the Foliage. Sprinkle your home with fresh greens or blooms. We like to use greens in any area that will be a focal point; The entry, kitchen, living room, and of course tablescape. Trader Joe’s has an excellent selection, and you won’t have to make an extra trip if you’re stopping there for groceries. And better yet: If you have it to spare, cut foliage from your yard!
5. A Simple, Yet Styled Tablescape. Neutral linens, tapered candles, and some greenery will instantly dress up your dining table. We love hunting for antique glassware, candlesticks, and other entertaining pieces. If you can’t find a complete set, don’t worry- The ‘collected’ feel adds to the cozy factor.
We are wishing you and your family a happy and relaxing holiday season. We’re a bunch of quality time people over here so we hope you too can be both a host and guest at your own celebration. Cheers!
Shop our entertaining essentials
November 22, 2021